Calibishie Cove is nestled 80 feet above the sea, tucked into the end of a mini-peninsula sloping downward on three sides toward the sea — which means you will enjoy incredible Caribbean sea breezes, relish panoramic views of the sea from all sides, and delight in seeing the beautiful red rock islands just off the coast.
Wake up to the gentle flutter of hummingbirds in our garden, walk down to the beach to meet the fresh, clean river that empties into the ocean, swim in the cool mountain spring water of the river, and walk across a narrow strip of sand to jump into the sea. Swim out to explore the reef-fringed red rock island off the coast, or kayak up the lushly beautiful Hodges River. Feel free to take a swim anywhere along the way in this pristine natural paradise.
Calibishie is on the Atlantic side of Dominica, but our waters are calm nearly every day thanks to a wild, unspoiled barrier ‘Treasure Island’ 200 meters off our coastline. The island also makes for a good little hike if you kayak or swim out to it.
Calibishie Cove is a three-story building on a street with residential homes on it, but which also has a natural, wild feel. Behind us is pure costal forest, to the front and more than one side are expansive ocean views and breezes. You have the best of both worlds – you feel like you’re in an isolated tropical oasis, but you are close to town and many popular sights.
To access the nearby beach (which can be seen from Calibishie Cove), you can cross the street and go up a couple of lots, then walk a path down the hill. If you choose to rent a kayak, you can also drive down to the beach for convenience. Our beach is black volcanic sand that sparkles like diamonds, is fringed by exotic coconut palm trees, and is frequented by a handful of friendly locals, though you are never going to find a crowd.
Driving Directions from Dominica’s Airport
We are 15-20 minutes from Melville Hall airport (main airport).
- Fly into Melville Hall, Dominica, airport (airport code DOM). If you rent a car, take the airport exit road to the North (stay straight out of the gate and keep going).
- You will go through two small villages on the way: first, Wesley, and second, Woodford Hill.
- Just after Woodford Hill, you will see a big, white building called Club Dominique.
- After you pass it, you will go another minute or two and start looking for a sign that says “Welcome to Calibishie.”
- Just after this sign, on the left, you will see a Calibishie Cove sign. Take a right onto a gravel road. (Note: it is also the first right after the “Welcome to Calibishie” sign.)
- Go down about 1/8 mile and the road will become concrete. Once it does, we are the second house on the left and you will see our sign out front.
Click here for a printable PDF of these driving directions to Calibishie Cove.