Flights to Dominica
Dominica is served by two airports: Melville Hall (DOM) and Canefield (DCF) Airport. Most visitors to Dominica will arrive through Melville Hall as it is considerably larger and accommodates commercial airlines.
GOOD NEWS: LIAT Airlines recently announced direct service from San Juan (SJU) to Dominica’s Melville Hall Airport (DOM). The 3pm departure time will allow many more travelers to get to Dominica in one day from the US, Canada, and elsewhere. Additional San Juan connections are detailed below.
International flights to Dominica from US and Europe are connected to the island through hubs in San Juan Puerto Rico, Antigua, Barbados, St. Maarten, Guadeloupe and Martinique. Leeward Island Air Transport (LIAT) often completes the Dominica leg of these flights and BVI Airways provides service from St. Maarten. LIAT (3 PM) and Seaborne Airlines (replacing the service provided by American Airlines, including seamless baggage transfer) provide connecting flights to the island out of Puerto Rico at 11:45 AM (confirm times). There are various scheduled charter services serving Dominica. Read more about Seaborne Airlines replacing American Eagle service to Dominica here and here.
Most airlines flying in to Dominica are listed on the travel global distribution system (GDS), and therefore you can book online or through a travel agent. However, not all options are advertised and as a result you may need to book segments directly. Here is a PDF table of routes and methods to get to Dominica from wherever you are.
Information courtesy Discover Dominica Authority.
Airlines Serving Dominica
Melville Hall Airport
+01 317 679 5553
Ferries to Dominica from other Caribbean islands
A 300-seat catamaran operated by L’Express des Îles ferries passengers between Dominica, Guadeloupe, Martinique and St. Lucia. The ferry service in Dominica also includes 400 capacity Catamaran operated by Jeans, traverses from Guadeloupe to Dominica into the town of Portsmouth. Captains of yachts and sailboats may also anchor their private yacht at any of the island’s official ports, but they should check in with customs and immigration on arrival. Mooring craft in what is designated a marine reserve or protected area is prohibited.
From St. Lucia, Martinique, or Guadeloupe: For ferry schedules and tickets, contact the agents HHV Whitchurch. Call 767-255-1127, ask for Andra Lewis, or email email@example.com.
Depending upon how long you plan to spend in Guadeloupe or St. Lucia, flying may be a better bet than taking these ferries, whose journeys take a long time and which are prone to service interruptions.
Driving Directions from Dominica’s Airport
We are 15-20 minutes from Melville Hall airport (main airport).
- Fly into Melville Hall, Dominica, airport (airport code DOM). If you rent a car, take the airport exit road to the North (stay straight out of the gate and keep going).
- You will go through two small villages on the way: first, Wesley, and second, Woodford Hill.
- Just after Woodford Hill, you will see a big, white building called Club Dominique.
- After you pass it, you will go another minute or two and start looking for a sign that says “Welcome to Calibishie.”
- Just after this sign, on the left, you will see a Calibishie Cove sign. Take a right onto a gravel road. (Note: it is also the first right after the “Welcome to Calibishie” sign.)
- Go down about 1/8 mile and the road will become concrete. Once it does, we are the second house on the left and you will see our sign out front.
Click here for a printable PDF of these driving directions to Calibishie Cove.